Thursday 20 August 2009

Too soon...?

Is it too soon to think about starting to knit Christmas presents? Am I turning into my mother? The next thing you know I'll be buying my Christmas cards in the January sale and hiding them in the airing cupboard.

If it is too soon, I apologise and please feel free to gloss over the next few lines.

A few days off work have seen me make satisfactory progress on most of my projects, although the (few) days of hot weather have made me think twice about wrestling with the Gathered Pullover. Rowan Felted Tweed is gorgeous (as I think I may have mentioned once or twice) but it is hot and hairy in the current climate.

So I got to thinking about socks as unusually I didn't have a pair OTN...and then I got to thinking about the various relatives who have expressed an interest in receiving a hand-knit pair... and then...inevitably..I got to thinking about Christmas (sorry).

So I had a mammoth session of Ravelry browsing and stash diving, and emerged several hours later and slightly dishevelled with a (sort of) list of socks to knit. And all from stash yarn - so full marks on the virtuous front.

In no particular order we have:

1. Rib Fantastic socks in Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock (Sister)
2. Inside-out socks in some recently acquired Malabrigo sock (Mum)
3. Plain rib socks in Trekking XXL (Dad and Dad-in-law)
4. Socks of my own creation for ever-loving OH in Lang wool/silk

Then it dawned on me, that I am not the world's fastest sock knitter, and that unless I was planning to employ a team of house-elves I had better get some sock knitting done. I suspect all that plain boring 'man-rib' knitting might start to wear after a while so I'll need to have a couple of things on the go at once to avoid madness.

So, too soon for Christmas sock knitting...? Never!

No comments:

Post a Comment