Wednesday 26 August 2009

Gauge issues

So much for my cunning plan with regard to sock knitting. I remember now why I have been on a bit of a sock hiatus. Most of the yarn in my stash is a little thicker or thinner than usual and won't work with my usual 2.5mm Addi Turbos. I am hopelessly devoted to my Addi's and can't even contemplate knitting with DPNs or with magic loop - I usually just use a 30cm Addi and work around and around. Even I can manage that.

But - disaster....


The Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport is not a true sock weight, but a 'sport' weight and so really needs a 3mm needle, which of course, I don't have.

Still, I carried on and have worked most of the first sock on 2.5mm needles (firmly putting the voice of reason in the cupboard under the stairs). Then I have taken a close look at and realised the inevitable - it doesn't work with that particular gauge.

In fact, the combination of slightly thicker yarn, slightly too small needles and the Rib Fantastic pattern have conspired to make a sock so firm it can stand up by itself. I have created 'Socks of Steel'.

I could do the mature, rational thing and calmly frog it and order some larger needles. Or I could cast on with something else from my stash in a different pattern and leave the original sock in a heap at the bottom of my knitting bag - three guesses which I did :)

On a brighter note, the Gathered Pullover is done. Well it needs seaming obviously, but in my book that counts as done.

No comments:

Post a Comment