Friday 17 August 2012

Garter stitch goodness

Maybe it is the post-Ravellenics lull or the full on frenzy of school holidays as a working mum** but I have had a sudden urge to indulge myself with lovely, soothing gartery goodness in recent days.

**I do dislike the term 'working mum' as I'm yet to meet a mum who doesn't spend most of her day working (either inside or outside the home). I work 4 days a week and am lucky enough to have a reasonable flexible job.The children are happily ensconced in a holiday club while I'm at work - and they love it which helps to alleviate a little of the inevitable mummy guilt - but with packing lunches, packing bags for 'outings', usual work/home stuff and then desperately trying to fit in the odd play date or two - the summer seems even more frenetic than usual.

Either way, when all is going to hell in a handbasket I can rely on a bit of garter stitch to sooth and relax when my poor frazzled brain needs a rest.

I have cast on a garter stitch baby blanket - in sock yarn (I never said I wanted a quick project)

IMAG0334

I also started a pair of these cute garter stitch mittens by the incomparable Ysolda Teague. They are worked side to side using some clever short row shaping and the first one took a little over 90 minutes and approx 10g Rowan Felted Tweed - genius

IMAG0335

No comments:

Post a Comment