Friday 19 April 2013

Day One: The House Cup

The first step is to allocate myself to a House and having had a good read through the various descriptions it has to be:

The House of Bee:
The House of Bee: Bees are busy and industrious, but can flit from one interesting project to the next as bright and shiny things capture their interest.
 I suspect that this will be a popular House given the nature of many knitters I know. We are always busy, always with many projects on the go but often, all too easily seduced by the lure of the bright, shiny, new project or yarn.

I love nothing better than the start of a new project. Picking up some new lovely yarn, cruising Ravelry to look for inspiration and ideas and then the joy of casting on (once I've unearthed the correct needles or, to my shame, pulled them out of some out-of-favour WIP).

Sometimes the project whizzes by and I can't get enough of it, producing a finished item with a sense of regret that the project is ended. More times than I would like though, the initial enthusiasm wanes or perhaps there is a problem with tension, Concern over yarn choice or a tricky stitch which is fiddly to execute. Then I set the project aside but like the Busy Bee I am, I pick up something else to occupy my hands and flit on to the next project.

In an effort to combat my 'Busy Bee' nature I now try to have a long term project on the go, such as a simple, effortless baby blanket that i can just pick up and knit on to sooth any anxieties and let my brain get on with the job of puzzling out the problem in its own sweet time. Good projects for this I find are the Log Cabin Blanket, the perenially popular Moderne Baby Blanket or (shameless self promotion alert) my own Fuss Free Baby Blanket, all which have the requirements of being simple, easy to knit patterns and are adaptable to a range of different yarn weights.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to knit a baby blanket for a while, but never bothered as I thought the rows would be too long and tedious. I like what you are saying though about it being good for when you just have too much other stuff to think about. You've inspired me to cast one on now!

    They really should have put 'enabling' in the bee description...

    ReplyDelete